How to build a profitable list
Building a list is critical to succeed in business. The saying “the money is in the list” is very true. If implemented effectively, you will have access to a list of loyal subscribers who will willingly open your emails, click on your links, and trust your opinion and ultimately buy from you.
Ok so you’ve now decided to build a list. But perhaps you are pondering how to get subscribers, or more to the point how to build a profitable list. So here I am going to share how you can build a great list. The best bit is the methods below are free or fairly cheap to implement.
- First, you need traffic to your website, blog or whatever other online platform you might host. Without traffic, how will your readers ever know about your offer. (check out my previous posthere on amazing ways to really fire up your online traffic flow).
- Give plenty of opportunity for sign-ups and links to sign-up on all your platforms. Include it on all areas of your website, your blogs etc.
- Use free incentives to entice your users to sign up. But don’t just give any incentives. Be careful in what you give away to maximise your chances of success. Whilst you should offer valuable incentives to your subscriber, don’t give away everything. Leave the real treats for your emails and ensure your incentives are in line with your emails.
- Another way of attracting subscribers is to create exclusive content for your subscribers. Create password protected pages comprising your best content that only they can access.
- Explain what is in it for them. Be specific and explicitly honest about what you are offering. Emphasise the benefits they will receive from signing up. It’s really good if you can support this with evidence such as testimonials (showing how others have benefited), your credentials/qualifications/experience (setting yourself as a source of experience worth listening to), and examples of your messages (direct evidence of the value they should expect to receive).
- Utilise cross promotion for mutual gain. Approach others in your niche, and create joint ventures where you send emails to your list about them and they send emails to their subscribers about you.
- Alternatively, write positive blogs/articles on each other’s newsletter/freebies, or recommend subscribing to their list.
- Offer your freebies to others (in your niche) to give away with their products. This will generate lots of promotion/interest in your product, and links to your page.
- Create a high quality ebook drawing upon your expertise i.e. from all your existing articles, blogs, website, posts, etc. In it provide plenty of links back to your blogs etc. Ensure you give lots of promotion to this exciting new book you have created. If you have provided plenty of value in your ebook they will have every incentive to sign up to your list.
- Guest posting. There is less persuasion work here as your readers are already convinced by your credentials due to your association with the host and will be more easily convinced to sign up to your offer.
You’ve made all that effort attracting your subscriber, so maintain their interest and ensure they don’t leave. Keep your readers motivated to keep reading. Give your subscribers something to look forward to – entice them by telling them what is coming up in future issues and how this will benefit them. Ensure your content adds real value and is of consistently high quality to make every future issue unmissable.
Focus on relationship building. From day 1 (your first email), show that you are concerned about your subscriber and want to help them. Keep it personable/ friendly. Invite their feedback, opinions, and suggestions. Don’t make promises you can’t keep – If you say you can do something, ensure you actually do/can deliver.
Building a list is not an instantaneous process. It takes both time and effort. But following these tips will set you on the golden path to list building success.